Fall-ing in Love: My Autumn Bucket List

It's the most wonderful time of the year! If I had to pick one season to live in, I would be hard pressed to pick between autumn and spring. Today, fall is definitely in the lead. Since it is the start of fall, let's break out the bucket list and see what there is to do around here to celebrate cool(er) weather and a little more time to sleep in.

1.) Enjoy the change of the seasons.
Sadly, I live in a part of the country where the only autumn color we experience is purchased at Hobby Lobby.
So we make our own leaves to hang in the windows.

My personal favorite leaf from last year?
This Tinker Leaf  #DisneySide
It's not quite the same, but it's still lovely!

2.) Visit the Texas Renaissance Festival
Located in Todd Mission, Texas, the Texas Renaissance Festival (or RenFest) turns 55 acres into a bustling 16th century village for eight weeks in October and November. Between the hundreds of performers, crafting demonstrations and the authentic shops and cobblestone pathways, it's hard to remember that you haven't stepped into an entirely different time period.

My sister and my daughter at the RenFest
I'm excited to attend the School Days for the first time this year. The don't miss list includes: the always interesting Birds of Prey demonstration, breaking the sound barrier with the Fire Whip Show and of course a turkey leg.

3.) Baking
Sometime in October, the air will be crisp and cool and my mind will turn to all things domestic. Once all of the cleaning and tidying are complete, I will focus almost entirely on baking.


Minnie (Gluten Free, Vegan) Apple Pies
Starting with apple cake, oatmeal raisin cookies and Minnie Apple Pies, I will move on to pumpkin. I'm not really a #PSL fan (sorry!) but pumpkin in general still gets my love! Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin muffins and pumpkin quick breads will be next and finally I will shift gears into gingerbreads. Somehow I will shake myself free at some point to bake a few dozen chocolate chip cookies for gifts.
Hmmmm, maybe this year we'll make praline sauce to give away instead.

4.) Shop for Christmas REALLY Early
On my bucket list is completing all of my Christmas shopping and preparations before Thanksgiving week.
Why?
Well we are going on our vacation between Thanksgiving and Christmas rather than our usual over Thanksgiving vacation time.


Pilgrim Mickey listens into Kylee's Christmas list.
I'm not sure why she decided to tell it to Mickey, but he was a very good listener.
Rather than come back and try to get everything settled in a rush after vacation, I'd prefer for all the shopping to be done by mid-November. Now to talk my dear husband into getting me his Christmas list so I can get a move on in the shopping department.
5.) Be There
This is the easy part and also the hard part.
To show up every day, love my husband and kids and not be distracted by all the peripheral busyness and urgency and must do items to check off of my list.
To remember that the perfect Christmas card or picture or outfit is not the point.
I am the mom, so I get to pick how much time we hang out and enjoy time together rather than running to events and being busy, checking off things that make this a "perfect holiday season" rather than one filled with moments that are imperfect but magical.
I get to pick if I create a fall full of peace or a fall ruled by the tyranny of the urgent where I let our family be spread too thin on too many good things.
I choose to be there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disney Cruise Line 101 ~ What Not To Wear

DCL 101 | The Ultimate List of Disney Cruise Tips and Tricks!

Top 10 Family Friendly 4th of July Movies